Respect Life Person of the Year Award
Father Chris Winkeljohn received the 2014 Respect Life Person of the Year Award for the Diocese of Pensacola-Tallahassee at the Florida Respect Life convention Oct. 25. Father Winkeljohn serves as the parochial vicar here at the Co-Cathedral of St. Thomas More in Tallahassee. Click here to see the article featured on Catholic Compass or visit www.thecatholiccompass.com.
Please Read: Statement of the Catholic Bishops of Florida on the 42nd Anniversary of Roe v. Wade.
Fundación Ramón Pané
The Fundación Ramón Pané cordially invites you to participate in the event
Evangelli Gaudium-Pope Francis’ Pastoral Project for the New Evangelization under the auspices of Archbishop Octavio Ruíz Arenas, Secretary of the Vatican’s Pontifical Council for the Promotion of the New Evangelization. February 9, 2015 there will be a Mass Celebration at St. Thomas More at 5:15pm, followed by a conference and reception at 6:15pm. Please confirm your participation by calling 850-264-6752 or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
Click here to access the Stewardship Report.
Financial Peace University
NOTE DATE CHANGE
What is Financial Peace University? We all need a plan for our money. Financial Peace University (FPU) is that plan! It teaches God's ways of handling money. Through video teaching, class discussions and interactive small group activities, FPU presents biblical, practical steps to get from where you are to where you've dreamed you could be. This plan will show you how to get rid of debt, manage your money, spend and save wisely, and much more! Click here to register. For questions, contact Jeri at JeriWink27@gmail.com . Class is $100 per family (or single), and runs Monday evenings from 7 to 8:30 p.m. beginning February 2, 2015 and ending March 30, 2015.
Explore the call to Christ through the priesthood! Join us for a faith filled weekend retreat for single men 18+ discerning the diocesan priesthood. The retreat is free of charge, and will be held at the St. John Meumann Retreat Center in Tallahassee Friday February 6th-Sunday February 8th, 2015.
Baptismal Preparation Class
Deacon Andy will be holding a Baptismal Preparation Class on January 26th in the Lewis Conference Room. All parents and godparents of children seeking the Sacrament of Baptism are encouraged to attend.
Support St. Thomas More and CSU
There are many ways to share your financial gifts with the Co-Cathedral of St. Thomas More and the Catholic Student Union (CSU). One way is through your IRA. The American Taxpayer Relief Act of 2012, passed on December 17, 2014, extended provisions that allows older IRA account owners to donate their IRA withdrawals to charity through tax years 2012, 2013 and 2014. Transferring an IRA distribution to a charity allows retirees to avoid paying income tax on the amount withdrawn. Qualifying distributions may be made by individuals age 70 1/2 and older in amounts up to $100,000 per year.
For other ways to can support the parish or CSU contact Dasha Nixion email@example.com for CSU, Diane Perez firstname.lastname@example.org.
VATICAN CITY —
When Pope Francis met before Christmas with Vatican employees, mostly lay people with families, he asked them to do 10 things.
The list sounded remarkably like suggestions for New Year’s resolutions:
– “Take care of your spiritual life, your relationship with God, because this is the backbone of everything we do and everything we are.”
– “Take care of your family life, giving your children and loved ones not just money, but most of all your time, attention and love.”
– “Take care of your relationships with others, transforming your faith into life and your words into good works, especially on behalf of the needy.”
– “Be careful how you speak, purify your tongue of offensive words, vulgarity and worldly decadence.”
– “Heal wounds of the heart with the oil of forgiveness, forgiving those who have hurt us and medicating the wounds we have caused others.”
– “Look after your work, doing it with enthusiasm, humility, competence, passion and with a spirit that knows how to thank the Lord.”
– “Be careful of envy, lust, hatred and negative feelings that devour our interior peace and transform us into destroyed and destructive people.”
– “Watch out for anger that can lead to vengeance; for laziness that leads to existential euthanasia; for pointing the finger at others, which leads to pride; and for complaining continually, which leads to desperation.”
– “Take care of brothers and sisters who are weaker … the elderly, the sick, the hungry, the homeless and strangers, because we will be judged on this.”
Posted on January 1, 2015 by Cindy Wooden